LegalTerms and Policies
Acceptable Use Policy
This Acceptable Use Policy (“AUP”) applies to MyRepublic’s services as if it formed part of the General Terms and Conditions. This AUP may be amended by us from time to time and any such modification or amendment will be posted on our Web site and become automatically effective upon you as from the date of posting. It is your responsibility to be aware of such changes, which will take effect when posted on our Website. All references to “we”, “us” and “our”, are to MyRepublic.
Background & Overview
As an Internet Service Provider, we are subject to regulatory requirements and codes of practice which protect the community at large by upholding contemporary social standards and protecting the overall national Internet infrastructure. At MyRepublic we recognize and appreciate the importance of these requirements, and strive to maintain a high standard of ethical and professional conduct.
Our Acceptable Use Policy (“AUP”) is intended to:
provide information to our customers on their legal obligations and liabilities in making use of MyRepublic services;
provide information to our customers on the legal obligations of MyRepublic as a licensed Internet Service Provider, to ensure that our customers adhere to their legal obligations;
explain the remedial measures that may be taken by us against any defaulting customers;
provide a description of practices by our customers which are considered abusive and therefore are prohibited; and
explain the limits of liability of MyRepublic.
Your Responsible & Acceptable Use of our Services
Please respect the laws and rights of others. You must, at all times, make sure that the way you use the MyRepublic service does not break the law or the rights of any other person, including any MyRepublic content partner. When using MyRepublic services or accessing our Website, you must not:
- use our Internet services to inconvenience other users of the Internet, or for unlawful or illegal purposes;
- ensure that your Internet connection isn’t used to abuse other people using the Internet or to purposefully receive or distribute unsuitable material, like copyrighted music and films without permission, spam or viruses, or to excessively use our network in busy times in a way which has a detrimental impact on other users of our services;
- commit or encourage a criminal offence;
- deliberately receive, use, own, post, transmit or publish communication that is offensive, abusive, defamatory, obscene, menacing or illegal;
- do anything which is contrary to the acceptable use policies or standards of any connected network;
insert or knowingly or recklessly transmit or distribute a virus;
- seek unauthorised entry into the MyRepublic back office or operations platform;
- hack into any aspect of the MyRepublic service;
- corrupt data;
- circumvent, or attempt to seek to circumvent, any of the security safeguards of MyRepublic or any of its third party content providers;
- cause annoyance, nuisance, or break the rights of, any other person;
- break, or try to break, the security of anyone else’s equipment, hardware or software;
- use any of our residential services for commercial or business purposes;
- resell or supply any MyRepublic service to any person. The MyRepublic services are provided to you solely for your own use. You must not resell or transfer the services or equipment provided to you by MyRepublic, without our prior written consent;
- use your MyRepublic connection to harm the service of another Internet user or impersonate another user, whether on our network or external to our network;
- send email or any other type of electronic message with the intention or result of affecting the performance or functionality of any computer facilities;
- use the MyRepublic service in a way that (i) risks degradation of service levels to other customers, (ii) puts our system at risk and/or (iii) is not in keeping with that reasonably expected of a customer in the circumstances;
- hold MyRepublic or any of its third party content providers or contractors liable in relation to the accuracy, reliability, availability and performance of resources accessed through the Internet which, you acknowledge, are beyond their control and are not in any way warranted or supported by MyRepublic or its third party content providers or contractors;
- use the MyRepublic service in any way which, in MyRepublic’s opinion, is, or is likely to be, detrimental to the provision of the service to any other MyRepublic customer. This includes, but is not limited to, running any application or program that places excessive bandwidth demands on the service for continued periods;
- directly or indirectly act or omit to act in any way which may infringe, damage or endanger any intellectual property rights of ours or any third party;
- perform any activity which does not comply with applicable laws in Singapore, including the Telecommunications Act, Code of Practice for Competition in the Provision of Telecommunication Services, Films Act, Computer Misuse Act, Penal Code, Copyright Act, Undesirable Publications Act, Singapore Broadcasting Authority Act, Indecent Advertisements Act, Public Entertainments Act, Common Gaming Houses Act, Maintenance of Religious Harmony Act, Trade Marks Act and Official Secrets Act and the Internet Code of Practice (MDA); or
- permit any third party to do any of the above.
Legal Obligations Imposed onto MyRepublic
As a licensed Internet Service Provider, MyRepublic is subject to codes of practice, regulations and laws, which among other things:
- requires MyRepublic to use its best efforts to ensure that our Internet service is not used against the public interest or order, national harmony or which offends against good taste or decency;
- requires MyRepublic to deny access to world wide web material which is prohibited on specific grounds relating to the upholding of community standards; and
- imposes sanctions including fines on Internet Service Providers such as MyRepublic, who contravene these rules.
Consequences to Defaulting Users of Unacceptable Use
By using our services, you agree to comply with all parts of this AUP, and we may terminate your account if you fail to comply with any of these rules.
If we believe that you are using our services in any of the ways prohibited by this AUP, we are entitled to reduce, suspend, restrict certain types of traffic on your MyRepublic service, and/or terminate any or all of your MyRepublic services without giving you notice.
Notwithstanding our right to immediately reduce, suspend, limit the speed and/or terminate your MyRepublic services and/or restrict certain types of traffic on your service, if you abuse the MyRepublic services and/or breach this AUP, you may receive a formal warning from us specifying the unacceptable conduct and notifying you that repeated breaches may result in your service being temporarily or permanently withdrawn from you.