For most people, the move toward a smart home has been happening for years as they gradually continue to swap out their current devices for smart home gadgets. However, the recent quarantines have made the shift to a smart home a necessity.
A growing percentage of the population is working remotely, and this trend will continue for the foreseeable future. A connected home is more functional and can help you operate your work and family life with more ease.
However, many of these are complex, and it can be hard to know where to get started. If you’re looking for some guidance, let’s look at the coolest smart home gadgets on the market right now.
The 5 Best Smart Home Gadgets
- Smart speakers: A smart speaker is a wireless speaker that responds to voice commands and talks back to you. A good example of this is Amazon’s Alexa or Google Assistant, but there are other great options you may not have heard of. For instance, the Bose Home Speaker 500 allows you to stream millions of songs, and delivers an impressive stereo sound from just a single speaker. It comes with built-in Alexa voice control, and you can connect it to Bluetooth, Spotify, or Amazon music.
- Mini spy cameras: Home cameras have been growing in popularity ever since Australians first began using Ring doorbell cameras. But if security is a top concern for you, there are many more options available. Mini spy cameras are available to affix to pens, wristwatches, Bluetooth speakers, and so much more. For instance, this wireless spy camera has superior motion detection, night vision, and is small enough to fit in your pocket.
- Smart switches: Investing in better lighting is one of the easiest ways to move towards a smarter home. You’re probably already familiar with LED lighting and smart bulbs, but your options extend far beyond that.
Smart switches allow you to control and adjust the lighting in your home remotely. You can also dim the lights or put your lighting on a schedule. Here are some of the best option for smart switches:
- Wemo’s Dimmer light switch
- Click touch-powered switch from RunLessWire
- Lutron Aurora switch
- Smart strips: A smart strip allows you to monitor and manage your devices from anywhere. It monitors and controls the power to each electrical outlet, and helps prevent any outlets from wasting power. And most power strips include built-in Wi-Fi surge protection, which keeps your devices safe.
The APC Smart Plug Surge Protector comes with a lifetime warranty and an equipment protection policy. This means customers will be reimbursed for any losses they incur. This smart strip is compatible with Amazon’s Alexa and works with iOS and Android devices.
The VOCOlinc Smart Power Strip is another great alternative. It comes with three smart outlets and two USB ports. And it also comes with energy monitoring, which can help lower your monthly electric bill.
- Smart locks: Increasingly, more people are beginning to adopt smart security systems. And smart locks have continued to improve in both their functionality and design over the years.
If you already use Nest home products, then you might want to consider investing in the Nest x Yale lock. It’s easy to install and connects to the internet. Rather than having to open your front door with a key, you’ll simply punch in a code on the keypad.
The Bottom Line on Home Gadgets
The right home gadgets can save you money and make your home a safer and more convenient place to live and work. If you’re new to smart home devices, then the five types of devices outlined in this article are a good place to start.
However, there is one aspect that many homeowners overlook — having the right internet provider. Unfortunately, if you don’t have a strong Wi-Fi connection, then your smart home gadgets aren’t going to operate the way you would like.